Tuesday, June 24, 2008

John's an upstanding guy...

Or at least he was for a few minutes today...on one leg. First time out of bed since this all started.

The Physical Therapist and Occupational Therapist came to visit, leaving John with some exercises to do, and a promise to re-fit the back brace tomorrow so he can start sitting up more.

There were assorted tests today, and more coming tomorrow.

Someone asked me today who these mystery people Elaine, Carla, Paul, Mark, and Nick were. OK..."Nick" is short for Dominic, John's almost-30-year-old son. Intelligent, capable, and has his act together. If he had gotten into ham radio, he'd be a contester (Nick - if you're reading this, that's pretty high praise).

Elaine is John's girl friend - some of you have met her at WRTC or other similar events - Carla is her twin sister. Elaine has her ham license, and I knew her callsign once. I am resisting the temptation to look it up, since I think I will remember it eventually. I know it's KB2-something. I'll get it.

Paul is K8PO...the accident occurred at his place. Mark is K1RX, who was also on-site at the time of the accident.

John's on solid foods now. Of course, being in Maine, every meal includes lobster. Sometimes it looks and tastes like meat loaf or pork chops, but it's lobster.

Anyway, John knows what comes next...rehab. And he's very focused on it. He's got that contest look on his face - I've seen it before. Rehab will be in Maine, at a place close to the hospital.

25 cards arrived in today's mailbag. They really help his mood, so keep 'em coming. Dupes permitted...especially if you have something funny to say.

And one more thing...this coming weekend is Field Day, and John has not missed a Field Day since he's been licensed (1961!).

We can't get him out of the hospital, and they won't let us bring a rig in. We asked a ham who is connected to the hospital, and there's no emergency comms stuff there that includes ham gear.

But there are some behind-the-scenes activities underway to get W2GD/1 on the air for FD.

More details later, but if you're on 40 this weekend, keep an ear open.

73,

DougK1DG@gmail.com

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll be looking for you on FD, John, from W6ZE. We're so glad things went well yesterday. Take care and 73 de Chip K7JA and Janet KL7MF

Anonymous said...

1E (as in "One ELVIS") might be an appropriate FD category for a pelvis operation survivor.

Anonymous said...

Take care John and get well soon!
73 de Stewart
GM4AFF

Anonymous said...

Hi John --
I was very sorry to hear about your accident, and can only imagine how you felt when the world started moving sideways and down. You are a lucky guy, for which we are all thankful.
Glad to hear you are on the road to mending. From the sense of the comments on the blog, I don't need to encourage you further on the rehab therapy. My own very limited experience with broken bones (a Kohl's fracture at the wrist from an accident a few years ago on a trampoline [actually, technically, off the trampoline and onto the earth]) resulted in my introduction to physical therapy. PT rocks! I just followed the program instructions to the letter and got 100% recovery. You will do great, and I'm looking forward to seeing your goofy grin at Boxborough (late August -- is that a reasonable goal to shoot for?).
I'm in Virginia today and tomorrow, and then flying over to Friedrichshafen. I'll pass along any interesting news.
73 for now.
-- Eric K3NA

Marijan Miletic said...

John, have a lobster asap! I vividly remember big one with K1VR two years ago during my first ME visit. I hope W2GD/1 makes it across the pond this weekend.

73 de Mario, S56A, N1YU