Today John's son was off to Boston for an event that was planned some time ago.
K8PO and I arrived in the early afternoon...I brought John a cup of Dunkin Donuts coffee, which he had requested earlier. He was very happy...the hospital coffee isn't bad, but it IS hospital coffee.
John was in good shape today, and spent a lot of it reading (and occasionally sending) email, this blog - especially the comments, and waiting to be transferred out of the Special Care Unit. Unfortunately, that didn't happen, so he's still stuck with no phone, and cannot use his cellphone. However, he's on-line with the laptop.
He is very very very happy to see all the inbound email and comment-string traffic. Keep it coming!
We spent most of the day telling stories about various contest operations, people, stations, and so forth. Kind of like a micro-Dayton.
Tomorrow Elaine (and her sister) will arrive, and will visit for the first time since the accident.
John has also asked me to pick up another cup of Dunkin Donuts coffee for him on the way from the airport to the hospital.
Keep the emails coming! It really means a lot and is keeping his attitude very positive.
Surgery still scheduled for early Monday morning.
DougK1DG@gmail.com
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Dunkin Donuts coffee, really?
:-)
KL2A/W7
Good Morning Everyone,
30 minutes ago the Orthopedic surgeon came by to discuss what will be done tomorrow and what to expect over the months of recovery that lies ahead. The surgury will probably be completed by 12 noon tomorrow.
I have multiple fractures to the pelvis, two are most prominent, one weight bearing on the right side, front, and a wing on left rear, these will be addressed. One complication is how much I bleed, since I've been taking Plavix for over 2.5 years. He says the weight bearing fracture will require inserting a screw or two, and is minimally invasive, so thats first, the wing repair requires a plate, more screws, etc., and more invasive cutting.
Each side takes roughly 1.5 hours so 3 to 4 hours on the table is expected.
Following surgury, he told me to expect a recovery period of roughly 6 to 12 weeks. During this period I'll have to keep weight off of the fractures, no driving, to use walkers, crutches, wheelchairs, etc. I expect this will be a very difficult period for me, not being someone who has ever had restrictions on movement.
Its looking like I'll also be spending an extended period of time in ME this summer for rehab, but more details to follow on what will be necessary.
For those who have tried to call while I've been in the ICU, THANKS, its just they have the old ARRL DX Contest country quota rules in effect here. When I move to a regular room next week I'll be QRV.
Your calls, messages, and emails mean the world to me......thank you so very much!
Doug will continue to provide updates the next few days.
73, John W2GD aka P40W
John: Thanks for keeping us updated.
Good thing the WRTC is not this summer; it wouldn't be a WRTC without you.
I'll look forward to seeing you as soon as you get home to PA. I'll buy the coffee.
k1tn/2
Post a Comment